by Nick Roman
on September 14, 2014 at 10:48 pm
SHARES

The 2015 Miss America Pageant is live from Atlantic City, New Jersey, and it features some familiar faces this year. American Idol Season 8 finalist Jasmine Murray is among the competitors, as well as Miss Congeniality winner Jacky Arness.

Representing North Dakota, Arness won the award during the pre-show prior to the live competition. Although she wasn’t among the initial Top 15 to advance when the first names were announced, host Chris Harrison revealed that the judges would be able to send one more contestant to the finals. They unanimously selected Arness, who rounded out the Top 16.

So with the finalists set, who went on to claim the Miss America crown for 2015? Last year’s Miss America Nina Davuluri was on-hand to crown the winner. Find out who won below:

Credit: ABC

RECAP

So we learn the results of the America’s Choice vote, in which one of the semifinalists would be selected through social media. Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison, a diabetic who wears an insulin pump, was selected by online voters. Meanwhile, Miss North Dakota Jacky Arness was selected by the judges, which included model Kathy Ireland, Olympian Shawn Johnson, producer Marc Cherry, ex-Green Bay Packer/Dancing with the Stars winner Donald Driver, Brigadier General Anne Macdonald, social media mogul Gary Vaynerchuk, and Lee Meriwether, the first Miss America to be crowned on television back in 1955. (And she still looks amazing for her age, honestly.)

SWIMWEAR

The Top 16 advancing to the Swimwear competition:
Miss Mississippi Jasmine Murray
Miss Virginia Courtney Paige Garrett
Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn
Miss Florida Victoria Cowen
Miss Kentucky Ramsey Carpenter
Miss Texas Monique Evans
Miss Tennessee Hayley Lewis
Miss Alabama Caitlin Brunell
Miss Ohio Mackensie Bart
Miss Connecticut Acacia Courtney
Miss New York Kira Kazantsev
Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell
Miss Iowa Aly Olson
Miss Oklahoma Alex Eppler
Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison (America’s Choice)
Miss North Dakota Jacky Arness (Judges’ Choice)

The sixteen walk the runway for the Swimwear Competition, and I find myself wondering when platform stripper shoes became en vogue for this sort of thing.

What’s next? An aquarium in the heel? Ah well, everyone is gorgeous here, so it’s going to be an insanely tall order for the judges to select. However, they narrow it down.

EVENING WEAR

The 12 women advancing to the evening wear portion are…
Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn
Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell
Miss Tennessee Hayley Lewis
Miss Oklahoma Alex Eppler
Miss Ohio Mackensie Bart
Miss Kentucky Ramsey Carpenter
Miss Virginia Courtney Paige Garrett
Miss Mississippi Jasmine Murray
Miss Alabama Caitlin Brunell
Miss Florida Victoria Cowen
Miss Iowa Aly Olson
Miss New York Kira Kazantsev

From there, we get the evening wear competition, which goes about as you’d expect. Jasmine Murray explains that she wanted to pick a dress that accentuated her curves, “or lack thereof,” and I’d argue she made an amazing choice, in that department. Yet it’s Miss Arkansas who has the most stunning outfit: a long black gown that’s striped with tan accents. I was a fan. As were the judges, as she is among the first finalists selected to perform in the talent portion.

TALENT

Miss Mississippi Jasmine Murray sang Christina Aguilera’s version of “Something’s Got a Hold On Me”: A solid, if unspectacular, vocal. I like Murray’s voice, but this just wasn’t memorable, in my opinion.

Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell sang a classical vocal arrangement of “Via Dolorosa”: A pretty good performance. It wasn’t flawless, but I thought she really had quite a lovely voice.

Miss Oklahoma Alex Eppler performed a contemporary dance routine set to David Guetta’s “Titanium”: This was an impressive routine, illustrating considerable grace and poise.

Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn performs her own piano arrangement of “Valse Dramatico”: This was an amazing arrangement that’s all the more impressive for being her own. It might not be as immediately gripping as a singing or dancing routine, but this stuck with me, personally.

Miss Ohio Mackensie Bart sang “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” as part of her ventriloquism routine: A quirky little act, if a bit corny. I actually enjoyed this though, if only for the uniqueness of it, since it’s not something you’d necessarily expect to see in a pageant setting.

Miss Florida Victoria Cowen performs a lyrical dance to “Note to God”: Another talented dancer. She was incredibly elegant and graceful. I was really impressed with the fluidity of her movements.

Miss Tennessee sings Ben E. King’s “I Who Have Nothing”: Started out a bit plain and unremarkable, but as the song picked up, she really dug into the song. She emotionally connected with it in a way I wasn’t expecting, and her voice soared in the big notes.

Miss Virginia Courtney Paige Garrett sang a classical vocal version of “Parla piu piano”: I absolutely loved this. For my money, this was my favorite of the entire competition, as her vocal control is impeccable.

Miss New York Kira Kazantsev “Happy” by Pharrell while providing percussion with a single cup: I kind of wish she’d done this without a backing track, since the track’s percussion muffled what she was doing with the cup. But I enjoyed this. It was entertaining and charming, even if the vocal wasn’t a blowaway.

Miss Alabama Caitlin Brunell performed a character ballet en pointe to “Let It Go” from Disney’s Frozen: If I never hear this song again, it’ll be too soon. But this pageant wouldn’t have been complete without someone either singing this song or dancing to it, so fair enough, Miss America Pageant. Caitlin did a good job with this. It wasn’t a showstopper, but it was a visually striking performance.

QUESTION AND ANSWER

Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell answers a question about children and gun control, saying that children don’t need to be put in a situation where they might accidentally end another person’s life by having access to a gun.

Miss Florida Victoria Cowen answers a domestic abuse question, and whether she agrees with Janay Rice’s decision to stay with Ray Rice. She doesn’t agree with Janay Rice’s decision to stand by her husband, Ray, saying that she doesn’t feel he deserves a second chance.

Miss New York Kira Kazantsev answers a question on women taking charge on certain issues in the Senate. She feels that sexual assault in the military should be an issue women take a stand for in the Senate.

Miss Virginia Courtney Paige Garrett answers a question about ISIS. She feels that this can’t just be one nation’s problem. The UN must come together to end the threat ISIS presents.

Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn answers a question about rape on college campuses. She relates her own experience when a best friend was unfortunately raped, and states that greater precautions must be taken in universities.

So…yeah, no disastrous answers this year. And you’d almost expect that’s what they were aiming for by only giving these contestants twenty seconds to answer (although that might have always been the time limit. Either way, it just seemed to race by tonight).

FINAL RESULTS

Fourth runner-up: Miss Massachusetts Lauren Kuhn
Third runner-up: Miss Florida Victoria Cowen
Second runner-up: Miss Arkansas Ashton Campbell
First runner-up: Miss Virginia Courtney Paige Garrett

KIRA KAZANTSEV WINS MISS AMERICA 2015!

Miss New York has won the crown for a third year in a row, as Kira Kazantsev is Miss America 2015!

http://www.rickey.org/miss-america-2...esults/268427/