DID “THE VISIT” DISAPPOINT? - MOVIE REVIEW

Sunday, October 18, 2015

I’m not gonna lie, I am typically repelled by M. Night Shyamalan’s body of cinematic work (sans The SIxth Sense). When I first saw the trailer for “The Visit,” I was sure that I wouldn’t get within 10 feet of any theater screening the film. The part of the movie in all of the promos where ‘Nana’ asks the granddaughter to get in the oven kills me every time. With that being said, I just saw the movie this weekend, so sue me.

The film essentially follows two teen siblings on a week-long stay at their grandparent’s house. The thing is, they have never seen their grandparents because their mom had a falling out with them 15 years prior and never spoke to them again. The movie is in first-person because the 15 year old granddaughter is producing a documentary about the visit. The grandparents turn out to be nuttier than a fruitcake with peanut butter icing.

To my dismay, I liked the film - a lot. It was creepy as hell, funny and not too long (I hate long movies). Don’t worry, I will be general in my description to avoid spoilers. The thing I liked the most was hands down, the plot twist . Obviously there were signs in hindsight, but I watched the film alone and then again with my Mom and she didn’t see it coming either. I also enjoyed the acting of Olivia DeJonge and Ed Oxenbould who played the two grandchildren, Becca and Tyler. They were charming and Oxenbould was funny, so as a viewer I became invested in their safety. Deanna Dunagan and Peter McRobbie who played the grandparents were so believably creepy, which added to my enjoyment of the movie.

I approve of the practical reason for the cameras to have been rolling the way they were. Becca seemed really invested in cinematography as a serious hobby and there was a personal intention behind documenting the trip specifically, so it was realistic if you ask me. The buildup to the action didn’t feel boring surprisingly, but just know the bulk of the movie is a buildup. There was just one thing regarding the reality of the plot that I didn’t like but revealing that may spoil the twist, so comment below and we can rap about that later.

With Halloween approaching, I think it would be a good movie to add to your creepy as hell watch list. What do you think?

Final Rating:

http://alontecross.com/post/13145237...#disqus_thread