Thread: Directions to Play UNO in chat!

Default Directions to Play UNO in chat!

As you may have seen in the “daily thread” this morning:
    WE HAVE A NEW GAME IN THE CHAT ROOM!

Special Thanks to Wiki for setting up the game of UNO for all of us to play!

Since I played UNO for like 5 hours last night,
    I thought my experience may be helpful in writing up some directions for the benefit of anyone who would like to play!

First off, you need a partner! This version of Uno does not allow you to play against the bot. Secondly, you’ll need to play it in the game room. To get to the game room, come into the main chat room and simply type “/join #games” (without the quotes). Once you and your partner(s) get into the game room, make sure Wibot is in there as well! You need the bot there in order to play!

Players will first need to decide who the “dealer” will be. Then, that person needs to type: “!uno” (without the quotes)

You will then get a message that anyone who wants to play should type “join” (again, without quotes, and I hope you understand that now because my examples won’t have them anymore). You can play with 2 or more people – make a party of it and find 3, 4, 5, or more people to play! The more players, the more points the winner will get!

Once everyone has joined the game, the person that typed !uno then needs to type !deal to start the game!

The bot will then say whose turn it is and display a “top card” - this is your discard pile. It will also display all of the current player’s cards – but don’t worry, only the current player can see those cards!

Cards are displayed in color. So a Red 2 is displayed as [2], a Blue 4 is displayed as [4], a Yellow 6 is displayed as [6], a Green 8 is displayed as [8]

The deck also has several “draw 2” cards which are also colored and must follow the color rules. They are displayed as such: [D2][D2][D2] or [D2].

There are two types of Wild Cards and they are displayed in White because by playing them you get to decide what color the game will continue to play. The regular Wild card is displayed as [W]. The Draw 4 Wild Card is displayed as [WD4].

To play a card you’ll need to type !play, the abbreviation for the color of the card (r,b,y,g), and the number of the card (1-9). For example: !play r 2 will play a Red 2 [2] out of your hand and onto the discard pile, !play b 9 will play a Blue 9 [9], etc. This card then becomes the “top card” for the next player to play on.

As mentioned above, other cards in the deck include colored “draw 2” cards and look like this: [D2]. By playing this card, the bot will deal the next player 2 cards, skip that player’s turn, and then play goes to the next player in order. To play a Red Draw 2, [D2], you would type !play r d2, to play a Green Draw 2, [D2], you would type!play g d2.

The Wild card, displayed as [W] can be played at any time and it allows you the opportunity to change the color in play as well. To play a wild card you note the color AFTER the name of the card, rather than before, as is done when playing numbered cards. So, to play a wild card and change the color in play to blue, you would type!play w b. To play a wild card and change the color in play to yellow, you would type !play w y.

The second wild card is also a “Draw 4” card and is displayed as [WD4]. This card causes the next play to draw 4 cards and play is then skipped to the next player in order. You play this card similar to the regular wild card and get to choose a new color in play. To play this card and change the color to green, you would type !play wd4 g. Also, when you play a wild card the top card is displayed as [*] (depending on the color you choose). The asterisks means that anything can be played on top, so long as it follows the color rule, or is another wild card.

I think that covers how to play all the cards. So, what do you do if you don’t have any cards in your hand that can be played on the top card that is displayed? The answer is: if you do NOT have a card in your hand to play, you must then type!draw to draw a card from the deck. If you can play the card you just drew, then do so in the manner described above according to the type of card you have drawn. If you CAN NOT play the card you have drawn, you must then pass your turn to the next player by typing !pass. Play is then passed to the next player in order of play.

There are a couple of other useful commands you may want to use also. Typing !count will show you how many cards each player has. Also, this game will tally a top ten list of players, which you can display any time by typing !unotop10. A complete list of commands can be seen by typing !commands.

If you you find any glitches – just let Wiki know. I played several games last night (understatement! LOL!) and the only glitch I found was sometimes it did not register a command the first time. If you type a command and nothing happens, try it one more time. I never saw it miss the command a second time. For any questions you may have – Wiki’s the main guy, of course, but if he’s not around and I am, I’ll be happy to help any way I can.

Wiki, Meer, Nano, Lonnie, and I all had a great time last night playing UNO until the wee hours of the morning! I know you will enjoy it as well! I know I’ll be playing tonight with Meer, and Lonnie too, so come join us! THE MORE, THE MERRIER!!

Behind every successful man is his woman.
    Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

Ya know, this looks a whole lot more complicated than it really is! It is sooooo easy to pick up! Come into the game room and play with us, you'll have the hang of it within 2 minutes! I Promise!

Yay Sil!!!! Lets hook up later and play lol

Thanks Sil. It sounds like a lot of fun! I don't recall ever playing, but I know my stepson had a set of cards. One question. How do you know if you won the hand? Is the goal to get rid of your cards or gain points?

Puddles, the object of the game is both actually. You want to get rid of your cards as fast as you can thereby leaving the other players with as many cards as possible. You get points for every card your opponent has. If your opponent is left with a red 6, you get 6 points. If your opponent has a red 2, blue 6, and green 2, you get 10 points. Draw 2's are worth 20 points, Wild's I *think* are worth 25, and WD4's I *think* are worth 50 (not sure about those 2).

Hope that answers your questions!

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to post!

WIKI ROCKS!!!

Thanks to Wiki, we can now play Uno by ourselves, against the bot!!!

I'm sorry, but for this, and everything else he does for us, it's worth repeating...

WIKI TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!

Ok, with that said, the instructions to play Uno that I posted in this thread are now slightly different. Most of it is the same, but the biggest difference is that you no longer need to type "!" before every command anymore! (thank goodness, cuz my pinkie was starting to hurt from using the shift key a hundred times in a half hour!)

The wording of the commands remains the same - so, to play a green 9 [9] instead of typing !play g 9, you just need to type: play g 9

Also - to start a game you'll need to type !uno (yes, with the exclamation point). Then the bot asks anyone that wants to play to type "join" (w/o the quotes). All players, including the person that started the game should type "join".

If you are the only one playing, (and therefore wanting to play against the bot), after you type join, wait about a minute and the bot will automatically start the game.

Again, if you have any questions, Wiki can answer them for you... Why can Wiki answer them for you? That's easy, Wiki can answer them for you because...

WIKI ROCKS!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Also, please feel free to post questions here, and if Wiki's not in chat and I am, I'll be happy to help as well.

Thanks again everyone! This has been a lot of fun!!

sil...I have a question...Does Wiki rock?

Anyway.....thank you Wiki and Nano.

thanks you sil! Nano deserves recognition as well. It was him that had the file. He sent it to me and I set it up.

Thank You Nano for sending me the file!

I'm so sorry Nano - I had no idea until a few minutes ago that you were also instrumental in getting Uno up and running as well!

Special thanks to the Best Flower in the Bunch!!

NANO ROCKS TOOOOO!!!!!

Thanks to everyone involved in setting it up and putting it up with my learning curve. It's fun!!!

Default YAY Uno!!

I rock at this game.Gonna try it now.

Ps

Thanks wiki and nano for all the hard work setting it up. You guys rock!!